The grid-scaled distributed energy storage market is a new emerging market with many related studies published during the past years.
Despite the fact that it is difficult to forecast the future market size, all studies predict a rapid growth-rate for grid-scaled batteries.
2011: Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Research
- The cumulative global market potential for current available grid-scaled batteries is 412,000 MWh by 2030.
- Future regulations or large cost saving potentials for storage technologies may boost the market well beyond that.
2012: Lux Research Group
- The global demand for grid-scaled battery storage will reach 185,400 MWh in 2017.
- There will be a supply-constrained grid battery storage market.
- The battery technology market share will be 3%Lithium-Ion, 33% Vanadium-Redox, 19% Sodium-Sulfur, 15% Sodium-Nickel-Chloride and 19% Zinc-Bromine flow-batteries.
2012: National Alliance for Advanced Technology Batteries (NAATBatt)
- The predicted 2012-2022 market volume ranges from 154,250 – 312,000 MWh.
- A low and a high electric energy storage implementation scenario for three market drivers is distinguished:
- Grid stabilization and reliability increase: 150,000 – 300,000 MWh
- Integration of renewable energy sources: 4,000 – 10,000 MWh
- Electric vehicle infrastructure: 250 – 2,000 MWh